Here’s a collection of useful resources for Pentecost.
We’ve included ideas for worship or other intergenerational programs as well as ideas for households to use at home.
The ideas can be mixed and matched and aren’t exclusive for the category they’ve been placed under. Many of the craft ideas in the households section could be used in messy church, as activities in church or in children’s/all age programs. You may wish to make up your own Pentecost Bag or Box for households from the different ideas listed or come up with your own. You could take ideas from the Worship section for an intergenerational event or vice versa.
We’d love to hear how you use these resources and share your ideas with others. If you would like to share what you are planning for Pentecost from these resources or other ideas please email email@example.com
Pentecost ideas for households
- What Does This Day Mean? Reflections for Pentecost at Home - Simple, one-page instructions for households to celebrate Pentecost at home.
- Celebrating Pentecost at Home - wear red, hang red, yellow & orange balloons, caring conversation ideas, have a special "birthday party" morning tea
- Make a dove from a paper plate
- Descending Dove Suncatcher Pentecost Craft
- Pentecost Spinner - flames appear on a person's head as you spin the spinner
- Pentecost Flames Salad Spinner Art & Prayer activity - using paint, a paper plate & a salad spinner
- Pentecost Flames: Painting with forks
- Pentecost Suncatcher
- Tongues of Fire Hat
- Pentecost Fire Sticks
- Pentecost Crafts - flames, flame collage, string & alfoil pictures
- Holy Spirit Crayon Melting Craft & Prayer activity
- Pentecost Ideas: Breath - spin-the-coin & bubble pictures
- Pentecost Crafts - Balloon Rockets & Hat Peg Windmills
- Holy Spirit Floaters
- Pentecost Playdough Mat - (with discussion & prayer ideas)
- Pentecost Wiggle Woggle - Make this chatter box with a Pentecost twist
Intergenerational Pentecost Ideas
- Invite everyone to wear red, the colour of Pentecost
- Make ribbon streamers with red, yellow & orange ribbons - can be used by children & others during singing
- Pentecost B: Rushing Wind - ideas from Mustard Seeds a website written by Ann a UCA minister
- 50 and Counting - all age worship from UCA SA
- A Really Exciting Day - all age worship from UCA SA
- Happy Birthday to the Church - all age worship from UCA SA
- Year B: The Day of Pentecost - ideas from Worshiping with Children
- Day of Pentecost worship ideas - includes a number of downloadable resources including liturgy's, prayers, choral reading & Pentecost arts festival ideas.
- Pentecost: All-age Worship
- Celebrating Pentecost - a booklet of ideas which includes worship ideas, sharing the story, prayers, crafts & baking, games, Sunday School lessons & Pentecost events
- Kites for Pentecost - a service involving kites
- A family Service of Celebration for Pentecost
- The Coming of the Holy Spirit - A play & ideas for a Pentecost morning tea
- A Pentecost Celebration of the Gifts of the Spirit
- All Age Celebration of Pentecost
- Sparklers & a Big Red Rose - invite people to bring something that symbolises Pentecost & the coming of the Holy Spirit, these are used during the service.
- Pentecost Service -
- Pentecost Worship Resources - without fire or wind
- Come Holy Spirit
- Spirit of Love - a short, interactive Pentecost Celebration for all ages
- Power, Presence and Power of the Holy Spirit
- The Holy Spirit Comes in Power - Short All Age Service
- Pentecost Messy Church Crafts
- Power from on High - An active way of telling, exploring & reflecting on Pentecost
- Pentecost Birthday Event- Celebrate the birthday of the Christian church by recognising individual birthdays, your congregations birthday and the birthday of the Christian Church
- A Handful of Pentecost Ideas - including Pentecost workshop & party; a reading with all saying their favourite verse at the same time, percussion instruments & candles being lit; and different Pentecost symbols on a large cross
- Celebrating Pentecost
- Ideas to Celebrate Pentecost in your Congregation - sing, feast, bring wind toys, wear read & serve red foods, read with different languages, make paper candles,wind socks or a swooping dove.
- Interactive Prayer Stations on Pentecost & Immigrants/Refugees - The suggested prayer stations are not overtly Pentecost in theme. However, it is during Pentecost that the Spirit made it possible for all to speak and understand one another’s native languages. At the beginning of the early church, diversity was honored and a part of the church’s identity.
- The Day When God Made Church - A Child's First Book about Pentecost
- 40 Days with the Holy Spirit - 40 day devotional for adults with space to reflect & journal - also available as an eBook
- We are One - short picture book. Each page features a short phrase that recalls Joel’s prophecy and the realities of Pentecost illustrated beautifully.